I've had personal experience with lightning coupled transients to the
secondary, strong enough to burn out an office Mr Coffee pot.
Interestingly, if you have a transformer in the coupling path and the
windings are oriented to normally invert a sine wave, the transient will
likely not be inverted.  This is because the coupling is
through inter-winding capacitance and not the transformer core flux. This
can usually be simulated with the IEC 61000-4-5 test as well.

-Doug

Laporte, Colorado USA
doug...@gmail.com
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/coloradocomplianceguy/>