On 04/13/2011 12:52 AM, Rafael Skodlar wrote:
> My Linux experience only goes back to Feb 1994 when it was more than a
> toy. If I remember my Slackware from Linux Systems Labs 49 floppy disks
> correctly, it acted like most Unix systems of the day with multiple
> partitions for this or that.
>
> For a while, OS and user data grew faster than disk space and it was
> critical to be able to move partitions around different disk drives
> without major system downtime. However, argument today is that it's
> easier for people to have one partition for everything especially on
> workstations.

 From a system management and maintenance viewpoint, that's a really
stupid argument.  It's a lot easier to build a new OS on a system disk,
and not touch the user's home and data directories, and the same goes
for /usr/local.  System disk goes bad?  No big deal.  Pop in a new HD,
build a new OS, and away you go.

> Many distributions come that way by default, similar to DOS based OS.
> That not good idea for a number of reasons. Reinstalling or upgrading
> requires user data (/home/*) to be formatted along with the rest of the
> disk is just one of them.

I'm just agreeing with you, for reasons stated above, and all the many
years as a system administrator in just about every flavor of OS you can
think of.

> /boot was added because of crappy BIOS that was not able to handle
> cylinders beyond 1024 years ago. That's not needed anymore and makes no
> sense either. What good is it booting kernel from /boot and then fail to
> access core utilities (fdisk, fsck, df, etc.) on another partition to
> fix the system. On older systems / needs to be bellow 1024 cyl and
> you'll be fine without /boot.

Yep, I thought it was kind of silly to keep this around, but it's a
legacy thing now I guess.

> Static is only static if you make it so. With exception of embedded
> systems, most workstations and servers are not that way these days. It's
> hard to make / static when /etc needs to be written into for different
> reasons during OS use.

Static is only static if you make that file system read only, like you said.

> That's very good point. Let me add that /usr is just one large file
> structure with over 260k files per filelight report in my Kubuntu at
> this point. None of those files or libraries is or should be needed for
> any core utility to troubleshoot and possibly fix OS issues. /sbin /lib
> are for that.
>
> Advantages of having a number of partitions are numerous. fsck during
> bootup can be done in parallel on different partitions to bootup faster.
> In Linux, free RAM is used to a large degree to cache file directories
> and related information for faster access to needed files.

A bigger advantage occurs with IO when you can mount those numbers of
partitions not only on a different disk, but on a different IO bus.
Less contention for the resources.

> If part of RAM gets corrupted, then a related partition could get
> corrupted as well. It's unlikely all partitions will get corrupted at
> the same time though.
>
> My position is to have at least /home on separate partition as that
> allows for OS reinstall or upgrade without wiping out user's files
> (1.115M files in my case) and lessen a chance to corrupt the whole
> system when something goes wrong.
>
> Depending on situation, it's also good to have separate /var in case
> logging gets out of hand and it does in some development and production
> environments. Same for /tmp where some user's create huge temporary
> files. At least you can login and fix the problem in such situations.

Yep.
> The following partition scheme never failed me:
> /dev/sda1             14417392   1670252  12014776  13% /
> /dev/sda7              4804736    543444   4017224  12% /tmp
> /dev/sda5             14417392   7432168   6252860  55% /usr
> /dev/sda8            144183992  69423636  67436196  51% /virtual
> /dev/sda9            775915144 264384432 472116440  36% /home
>
> That's hardwired partitioning scheme. Logical volumes are a different
> matter.
>
> Virtual systems are different and partitioning is not as critical as it
> is on base OS. Still, /home is better to reside on different partition
> for backups, moves, templating and other reasons.

Absolutely.  Same for any user data drive, /var, and /usr/local.

> --
> Rafael

Cheers,
Mark