Mark Wendt wrote:
> The /boot dir holds the Linux boot images and remains static only as
> long as you don't upgrade your version of the system.  The /root
> partition only remains static if you don't su or log in as root (that's
> it's home dir...)  If your /usr partition gets corrupted, at least on a
> linux box, you may not even be able to boot single user, since a lot of
> the system binaries and libraries live there.

Yes, when I wrote that, I was thinking more of /home than /usr.  Yes, if
the /usr fs is mangled,
you would be able to boot the kernel, but not do a lot past that.  So,
keeping /usr on a different
partition from  /home and /var would give some protection.  Lately,
though, file systems have
gotten quite robust, I haven't had real corruption problems in a long time.

Jon