On 04/13/2011 07:52 PM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Rafael Skodlar<ra...@linwin.com>  wrote:
>
>> /boot was added because of crappy BIOS that was not able to handle
>> cylinders beyond 1024 years ago. That's not needed anymore and makes no
>> sense either. What good is it booting kernel from /boot and then fail to
>> access core utilities (fdisk, fsck, df, etc.) on another partition to
>> fix the system.
>
> /boot never contains end-user executables. Besides the 1024 cyl

where did you see such a claim?

> limitation, another reason was multibooting: you could keep boot files
> for several Linux/Unix and Windows systems in one place; that's why
> /boot usually uses the FAT filesystem, which is understood by all
> systems without having to install foreign filesystem modules.

Not true. You do not need /boot to boot any of multiple OSes installed
on the same system. Grub or LILO for that matter handled that just fine.
It was the BIOS limitation that required to have boot stuff under the
cylinder number 1024. Even that was bogus in a way as the firmware on
hard drives "translates cyl, hd, sec/track" for the BIOS default values.
I rarely setup /boot partition in last 15+ years on PCs.

Special boot partition was never a requirement on most (DEC, HP)
mainframe or Unix minicomputers to boot up either.

--
Rafael