On Sunday, December 25, 2011 12:08:02 PM kqt4a...@gmail.com did opine:

> On Sun, 25 Dec 2011, gene heskett wrote:
> >
> > opine:

> >> I am still quite confused
> >> My ignorance is killing me
> >>
> >> [EMCMOT]
> >> EMCMOT = motmod
> >> COMM_TIMEOUT = 1.0
> >> COMM_WAIT = 0.010
> >> BASE_PERIOD = 28000
> >> SERVO_PERIOD = 1000000
> >>
> >> [TRAJ]
> >> AXES = 4
> >> COORDINATES = X Y Z A
> >> MAX_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 8035.71
> >> DEFAULT_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 60.00
> >> LINEAR_UNITS = inch
> >> ANGULAR_UNITS = degree
> >> CYCLE_TIME = 0.010
> >> DEFAULT_VELOCITY = 0.33
> >> MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 3.30
> >>
> >> [AXIS_3]
> >> TYPE = ANGULAR
> >> HOME = 0.0
> >> MAX_VELOCITY = 7633.92857143
> >
> > Laying on the table & measuring the shaft rotation, this wouldn't be
> > very fast. a fraction over 21 rpm, nominally 3 seconds per rev.  Not
> > rps, rpm. But when 'scaled' to drive a table, its way faster than any
> > stepper could be driven to at my usual psu voltage of 28 volts.  A
> > big Gecko running on 80 volts, maybe.
>
> MAX_VELOCITY = 7633.92857143 (degrees per second), right?????
> (7633.92857143 / 360) * 60 = 1272.32142857166666666660 rpm
> Which is what I see whem I test with stepconf
> But locks up in Axis

Locks up the computer, or the motor?
If it's the computer, what is the base_period setting in your .ini file?
It's stated in nanoseconds.

If it is the motor that locks, likely MAXVEL is too high, and is not being
restricted enough by the next two lines.  These motors are stepper, yes,
but they cannot go from stopped to 300 rpm in a single step, they must be
accelerated and decelerated at a profile that when the mass of the load is
added to the shaft, they can still accelerate/decelerate at without losing
a step.  If a step is lost, they will usually stall in place, probably just
vibrating a bit till you hit the stop/esc.  so the greater the mass the
load has, the lower these next two values need to be to keep from asking
the motor to do something it can't.

Secondarily, resonance in the form of rotational vibrations can at certain
speeds, cause a loss of effective power and locking, which is the reason
for the damper assemblies seen on the rear of many of these motors.  Mine,
that you can see in the emc link on my web page in the sig, consists of a
long spool, with  alternating sheets of dead rubber whose center has to be
stretched to get them onto the spool shaft, and large 'fender washers'
which act as lossy flywheels, which in turn allows those motors to get
through the resonance frequency, doubling (or more) the effective working
speed.  I went from about 8 ipm to nearly 27 ipm by building and installing
the ones you can see on that page.  I currently limit at 22.5 ipm because
my table binds the ways when its way out to one side.

Those washers can be turned by hand as the whole stack is a bit loose,
intended.

However, this is fine tuning it once you get it moving, so do that first...

Andy had a question that might be relevant I think.

> See attached
>
> >> MAX_ACCELERATION = 50000.0
> >> STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 62500.0
> >
> > These 2 are, IMO, way too high.
> >
> >> SCALE = 4.44444444444
> >
> > Is this the 'scale' that turns the motor 1 degree?
>
> Yes???
> From integrator manual
>
> SCALE = 4000 ( HAL ) Speciï¬پes the number of pulses that corresponds to
> a move of one machine unit as set in the [TRAJ] section. For stepper
> systems, this is the number of step pulses issued per machine unit. For
> a linear axis one machine unit will be equal to the setting of
> LINEAR_UNITS. For an angular axis one unit is equal to the setting in
> ANGULAR_UNITS.
>
> With 1/8 stepping 4.444... pulses per degree

Agreed. :)

[...]

Cheers, Gene
"You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive."
                -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "A Study in Scarlet"