Two points, firstly after sending my first mail I have been thinking in
terms of intermediate languages, which have a successful history from
pascal onwards. I guess the gcode standard RS274NGC could be that
intermediate language with the result that little need be done to change
the current system except to ammend the front end of the toolchain to
accept alternative inputs.

However, my view of plugins is more general than "the ability to send
loaded files through a filter program". Like Eclipse I would want
plugins to integrate themselves within the emc system including its
windows and menus etc. For example I am writing a rose engine simulator
that ultimately generates gcode. It comprises of at least 4 types of
editing window plus numerous menu items also it is written in C# (sorry
if that offends some of you :-) ). I originally thought when I started
that it would have been nice to have it integrated with the emc system,
obviously that proved to be impossible. Do I need it to be a plugin -
obviously no , I just thought it would have been a nice idea to push the
gcode directly into emc without having to go via saving/loading several
textfiles. However I do understand about function bloat and would accept
the argument that emc should be left to its core essentials( sorry have
I just contradicted myself!!).

I still think plugins are a great idea.

Alan