On 12.02.12 13:03, Alan wrote:
> So my question is really about allowing extensibility in the future. I
> do not think that I am talking here about filters which to my limited
> understanding are something like a macro facility. Have I got that right
> or are they more than that?

From the "Integrator Manual V2.5, 2012-02-09":

»
3.2.3    [FILTER] Section
   AXIS has the ability to send loaded files through a filter program.
   This filter can do any desired task: Something as simple as making
   sure the file ends with M2, or something as complicated as detecting
   whether the input is a depth image, and generating g-code to mill the
   shape it defines. ... This program ...  must write RS274NGC code to
   standard output.
«

AIUI, that means that we could build a CAM language interpreter in the
filter, so that LinuxCNC accepts input files in as high level a language
as desired.

Significant is that other users can happily continue to use raw gcode,
and that no developer effort is required, because the existing
interpreter remains unaltered.

Filters are then, in effect, "plug-ins" which can completely redefine
the input language understood by LinuxCNC, AIUI.

A simple example: The unrolling of input program loops, to allow a user
to "start from line" on any of the iterations, is an immediate practical
benefit which results from decoupling the higher level input language
from the executed machine language. Achieving the same result in the
operator GUI is not something we have a current solution for, IIUC.

> My visualization of a postprocessor plugin is that it would take a file
> as input and would output a sequence of low level emc-library motion
> commands, so would require that these basic motion commands be made
> explicit and publicly accessible.

> I dont know how this would fit in with displays such as Axis and with
> kinetics modules but suspect that these could work at the lower level
> motion commands.

That's how it currently works, according to the documentation.

Erik

--
Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good;
and when it is bad, it is better than nothing.

                                                   - Dick Brandon