On Sun, 4 Mar 2012, Viesturs L?cis wrote:

> Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 23:33:57 +0200
> From: "[UTF-8] Viesturs L?cis" <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Looking to replace $4000 machine for $400 machine
>     with same results in emc :) yes its a strange title...
>
> 2012/3/4 Bart Libert (EducaSoft) <educas...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Where do I find that information then? Or is mesa only provider of
>> these cards and is firmware a whole other story ?
>
> Of course, no. There are packages in LinuxCNC repository that contain
> firmwares of particular card for most frequently used types of
> machines. And 3 axis stepper machine is, probably, most commonly used
> type of machines. So for 7i43 card You can get the firmware easily.
> 5i25 is little different story - You are supposed to tell Mesa, what
> kind of firmware should be loaded and they will do it for You before
> shipping the card. So 5i25 is easier from that point of view, but also
> less flexible.
>
> Viesturs

There will be a 5I25 configuration utility for Linux fairly soon.

Re-configuring a 5I25 will likely never be as quite as easy as the live
reconfigurable cards like the 7I43 and 5I2X, as it requires a power cycle
after the new configuration is written into its flash memory. The advantage is
that it eliminates a whole interface chip and thus can be much cheaper.

Live configuration of a 5I25 is theoretically possible but fairly icky
requiring the configuration utility to save the BARs, reconfigure the chip
and then restore the BARs to their previous BIOs determined values.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics