Tony Zampini wrote:
>  Or, to put it another way, how are
> users of EMC2 currently determining the new z offset after changing tools,
> assuming they don't use a probing feature? Just curious.

Each tool is run in a different program.  With manual tool changing, it
is often more
time-efficient to perform all operations with one tool on all the
workpieces, making
the fixture of the part very fast to swap, and just hit the run button
for each
workpiece.  When all of those are done, then set up the next tool and
run that.
You only need to set up the Z coordinate between tools.

I've been doing it this way for over a decade on nearly all my parts.

The other way is you have a master tool which has a tool length of zero, you
touch off that part before starting.  All other tools have a known length
difference from that tool, which is entered into the tool table, and the
programs
use tool length offsets.  I haven't used this technique in a while, but
for things
that are hard to set up on the fixture, this is the way to do it.

Jon