On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 09:39:56 AM Kirk Wallace did opine:

> On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 21:15 -0700, Karl Cunningham wrote:
> > On 03/20/2012 04:47 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> > > it has the the M00 pauses and when I hit Esc, it exits the current
> > > program run, so I would need to do a run from line (as I see you
> > > mentioned above) on a new program run in order to "resume". If I had
> > > several tool changes to do, this could get tricky, especially after
> > > working twelve hour shifts, six days a week for three months (been
> > > there) or after doing nothing on any CNC for several months and
> > > getting a rush job (done that). Your method seems reasonable, but
> > > I'll need to play with it some more to get a better understanding
> > > of how well it works with different situations such as with
> > > conditional codes and other "run from line" problems. Thanks for
> > > the tip Terry.
> >
> > One could include the "message to operator" construct:
> > (MSG, bla bla bla)
> > in the g-code to prompt the operator to do the right thing.
> >
> > Karl
>
> I've got my brain sore thinking about this, so I'm a little foggy, but
> it seems the safest way to do this is to break the g-code program into a
> separate program for each tool change. If there where a way to make this
> look like one run, that would be better. Also, it would be nice to be
> able to use the same original part file for machines with repeatable
> tool holders or machines or tool holders that need a touch off for each
> change. The key to which type of change would be needed could be a
> setting in a configuration file or a special code in the tool table. A
> preprocessor could scan the g-code file for tool changes and create sub
> files of the commands between tools of the touch off variety. Then call
> the subfiles in sequence with a touch off macro between sub-runs. Checks
> would be needed to make sure the contexts don't change or are correct.
> Basically, automating what an operator would currently need to do by
> hand.

Kirk; this ignores the fact that the "oword call" file sub programs aren't
shown in the axis display.  They seem to execute in their own little world,
so that would leave the operator flying essentially blind while the main
code that could be 10k+ LOC was executing.

This is, at least to me, a complete non-starter even if it did work.

I had trouble keeping track of what was going on when I wrote my autoz
functions for the pcb-gcode output.  In fact, the only redeeming reason to
leave those as callable subroutine files was that it was then a single
place where I could control the depth of cut by editing a single value in a
single file.

In fact, I am hoping that at some point before 2.6.0 final, LinuxCNC grows
the ability to insert the contents of an oword called subroutine file, into
the lower window displayed code as they are encountered in the main file.

Hint, hint, pretty please?

Just the two drill files for that simple board I made, have a dozen tool
changes between them.  Because of exit burrs, I chose to drill halfway thru
from each side & let the holes meet in the middle of the board thickness.
It worked better than I dreamed.  I was not able to determine that there
was a miss-registration anywhere in the finished board.  With a 100k rpms
spindle it would have been cleaner I am sure because I would then have
drilled all the way though, damaging the pallet too.

There are reasons not to do that of course because that damage could also
swell the pallet material locally, resulting in an unwanted elevation
change of the board while the machining was in progress.  In fact, I found
that due to the burrs thrown up while etching at only 2500 rpms that I
wasn't able to fully remove on a sheet of 600 w-r-d on my surface stone,
that I had to relieve the pallet another 10 thou, leaving the original
pocket elevation only for about 1/8" around the outside edge.

You can see the extra relief in the pix of it on my web page, under Genes-
os9-stf/eagle.  What is not shown in that pix is the bottom of that pallet
which has a 50 thou high 'fin' that exactly fits the T nut slots in the
mills table.  I found that trying to remount it and get the x axis aligned
wasn't something a dial indicator could do 100% reliably, so this last
pallet was made from scratch, from the bottom up with that alignment in
mind.

Cheers, Gene
The heaviest object in the world is the body of the woman you have ceased
to love.
                -- Marquis de Lac de Clapiers Vauvenargues