Setting a tool on a lathe is generally more complicated than with a mill
where the Z dimension is the only offset.  Doing it with a touch off
probe on a lathe  is a big deal.  Usually a probe is setup and the tool
is touched off the probe in the Z and X axes.   But usually the probe
must be retracted or removed during cutting.   The last one I did like
that had a renishaw probe on drop down arm that was used to set the
tools.  It worked well once it was setup but it was quite complicated.
Any significant changes in the tooling and the tool probing program had
to be altered so the new tools could be touched off the probe.

Dave