On Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:22:52 PM Erik Christiansen did opine:

> On 24.03.12 11:23, gene heskett wrote:
> > But would you believe the shack no longer carries the insulator kits
> > for hot tabbed TO-220's?  So I came home & spent the rest of the
> > afternoon demolishing an Antec 600w psu that did the usual Antec
> > failure, its 5 volts was down to 4.82, exactly 2 weeks out of
> > warranty 2 years ago. 2nd time a high priced Antec has done that to
> > me.  To get 2 only to-220 insulation kits out of it, and of course a
> > huge supply on multicolored wires to finish up my box with.
>
> Some of the PSUs I've stripped had one big strip of it for a whole row
> of TO-220s. If pushed, I'd mount the LM317 on an Al heat spreader plate
> to give 10 times the area of the TO-220 tab, then sandwich a strip of
> the insulator between that and the real heatsink, held with some nylon
> bolts. That should give a tenth of the temperature drop for the same
> heat flow. Maybe Digikey has rolls of the stuff?

Might have, didn't check.  I was worried about a parport cable I won't see
the stuff to make till I'm due at Block with my taxes.  That is a 5 letter
word, very similar to the 4 letter group in connotation.

> Either that, or mount the LM317 directly on the heatsink, mounted on
> nylon standoffs, inside the case, somewhere in that wind tunnel you're
> making with the supercharged fan farm? ;-)

Even at a 20F heat rise, it has another 140F or more to go before its in
trouble.  I don't believe I'll worry about it. (till it fails, but I say
that in a whisper so Murphy can't hear me)  It is directly on the case
wall, and the case wall is .250" alu, so once the heat is past the
insulator, it has a pound or so of alu to warm up.

> > So that goes in the box next.  I have some lexan, and am considering
> > machining the lid to add a window above the C1G so I can see all them
> > purty leds flickering away as it works.
>
> That seems worth doing, especially if it goes up on that high shelf,
> where it's highly visible.

Also handy to troubleshoot by removing the window.  I got that about 75%
done tonight, then discovered I had to expand the window to the rear by an
additional 1/2" to gain access to the back row of output connections.  But
I have more lexan, so as long as I can machine the stuff (that's fun in
case you've not tried it, as a std mill bastard file just bounces off it).
But I can remount it on the mill and expand that in perhaps an hours worth
of driving it by the arrow keys so its not a show stopper.  The standoffs
to hold the card at the correct elevation might be though.  If I just cut
tubing, I'll need full inch long 4-40 bolts.  And I haven't seen any of
those critters recently.  Fasten-all quits at 3/4", I was there last week.
:(

> > On Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:07:19 AM Erik Christiansen did opine:
> > > Having just finished subroutines in the translator, I'm about to
> > > embark on while loops, and was just looking in the on-line doco for
> > > a declaration on whether they have their own scope. Your experience
> > > suggests that is the case. Then they should perhaps be demarcated
> > > in the same way as subroutines.
>
> After reading these docs:
> http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gcode/overview.html#_parameters_
> variables_a_id_sec _parameters_a
>
> it seems clear that the only local scope in LinuxCNC gcode is in
> subroutines:
>
> آ»
> Scope
>    The scope of a parameter is either global, or local within a
> subroutine. آ«
>
> That only deepens the mystery of your variable disappearing on leaving a
> while loop.

The only conclusion I was able to reach was that the while loop was using
the same looping mechanism as a sub/endsub used.

> Erik

Cheers, Gene
May Euell Gibbons eat your only copy of the manual!