On Sun, 2012-03-25 at 18:31 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Sunday, March 25, 2012 06:18:24 PM Gary Corlew did opine:
>
> > My limit switches are at the ends of the travel farthest away from the
> > chuck both axis(X & Z) I have no clue what s/b means, to set up your
> > tools I set mine up to the end of the part you are going to machine
> > after I face it off a little then take a cut on the od and set your
> > tool to that
>
> Thanks Gary.  As for s/b, its short hand for "should be".  I think I have a
> printed copy of this link already, in a 3 ring binder out in the shop, just
> need to locate it.  Too many 3 ring binders on the shelf now...
>
> > This link should explain how to set up your lathe tools
> > http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/lathe_lathe-user.html

My HNC lathe home switches were set at Hardinge, but seem to be set at
the location that is safest for the turret to rotate for a tool change
and is also accessible by the operator for mounting new tools to the
turret. I use G28 as a move to home for every tool change because it is
sort of a brain dead place to do it. It may waste a little time but I
like the extra small margin of safety. Nowadays, there are a half dozen
ways or more to handle tool changes so G28 may not be appropriate any
more. Of course, the limit switches are just before the hard stops, and
the soft limits just before the limit switches.

I have my mill set up the same way, in other words, set to a good place
to make tool changes and is easy for the operator to get at the spindle
and either side of the table (for workpiece setups on either side), so X
homes in the middle, Y close to the negative end, or closest to the
operator, and Z at the top, which is needed for the automatic draw bar.
G28 is used here too. I don't have limit or home switches yet, but soft
limits are close to the hard stops when the home is set properly at
start up. Being a stepper, everything gets messed up if a stepper
stalls, but this hasn't happened yet.

I loaded lathe_pawn.ngc into a sim lathe configuration and it looks like
a normal front tooled lathe layout with the tool on the operator side of
the workpiece axis and the spindle to the left holding the pawn base.
Maybe there is a setting in your .ini file that is mirroring the axes?
How does the physical tool run with your setup? In other words, does the
screen tool and real tool move the same way?

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html