I did some rework of some poorly welded up teeth on a back gear for a South
Bend lathe made in 1914. Built up with brazing then took advantage of the gear
having an odd number of teeth. Set in the bottom of my mill vise on two teeth
so one tooth pointed straight up to cut the tip down, then used a pair of
pieces of metal the same thickness to position the gear with one tooth straight
down so I could cut through the middle of the gap with a small ball end mill.

Then I rotated the gear to various positions to cut three different angles on
the sides of each tooth, gauging by eye for when I had enough of the brass cut
down.

When done it was almost good enough to use. After a bit of work with a file to
smooth the edges it rolls around the gear on the spindle quite well. Workable
for a few teeth on an existing gear, not so much for cutting a whole gear from
scratch.

Now imagine the gear mounted to a 4th axis and all the turning and positioning
handled by the CNC, and making 4 or 5 angles per tooth side. Would only need a
single ball end mill to cut a huge range of gears. It just has to be narrower
than the bottom of the gaps between the teeth. I had to use a quite small end
mill to do that gear. 16 DP would need a smaller one.

A slitting saw or small horizontal mill cutter with a rounded edge would likely
be faster on smaller teeth like 16 DP.

Still don't have a CNC mill of my own. :-P