Ok, so bumping up current to 3A from 2.2A this morning did not change
anything.

The power supply is a 48v switcher from Keiling; I'm thinking of removing
all other axes and just testing one axis, and/or find another power supply
to see if it might be the issue.

Two questions, for those who are brainiacs here. ;-)

1) Stepper motor wiring, if you reverse say A or A', does it affect holding
torque? I note the GeckoDrive web site, for their steppers give a colour
coding. I was under the assumption that coil polarity did not matter, am I
wrong?

2) Here's my 5i25 config section for the G540:

setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.position-scale [AXIS_1]SCALE
setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.steplen 1500
setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.stepspace 2500
setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.dirhold 2000
setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.dirsetup 2000
setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.maxaccel [AXIS_1]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.maxvel [AXIS_1]STEPGEN_MAXVEL
setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.step_type 0

Which came from the fora.

(SCALE = 500; STEPGEN_MAXACCEL 660.0; STEPGEN_MAXVEL = 190.0)

I don't expect this to be an issue; as it runs just fine from about 2mm/sec
on up for hours at a time.

Thanks again for any "try this" stuff.

JohnS.