On Saturday 23 January 2016 01:07:28 Jon Elson wrote:

> Hmmm, one other way to do this, if you don't have a lot of
> holes to do, is a single-row thread mill.
> traditional thread mills are good for only one thread
> pitch.  Single row thread mills only have one row of cutting
> edges, so you run a pass much like a single point threading
> operation, but with the cutter spinning in the spindle.  It
> does an amazing job of cutting oddball threads, and they
> look just like they were tapped.
> This, of course, is good for a mill, not usable on a lathe,
> as you need to orbit the X and Y axes as the Z withdraws up
> the hole.  (You thread from bottom to top so the hole is
> climb milled for best surface finish.)
>
> I have a generic c program to write the G-code, if anybody
> needs it.
>
> Jon

I have such a single row mill, nominally .750" OD, 1/2" shank, but have
not ever used it for lack of knowledge how to properly drive it, and
lack of real need to use it so far. I would appreciate a PM'd copy of
that, "just in case".

I have been considering making me a pair of dual screw, 1.250" wooden
screws, woodworkers vises, but the length of screw needed would exceed
what I can do on my toy lathe, so the screw part has been put off until
I can acquire a suitably longer lathe.  Such code would greatly simplify
making the nuts on the mill.

I had made a couple of paddleboard vices, using 3/4" ready thread, but
the front vise seized its screw in the nut & broke the nut holder 2 or 3
years back, rendering a good solid woodworkers bench into a storage
catchall.  But its top is 2x4 stock on edge, 6 foot long, planed flat,
oil finished so dried, spilled glue can be peeled off, and it weighs in
the 350 lb area.  A good sturdy bench, if it had working vises.  A new
bench, ready-made with simpler vises is in the $1600-$2000 range, so I
hate to clear a path and tow it out with my WV Cadillac just to be made
into firewood.

Thanks Jon.