On Saturday 23 January 2016 06:18:55 Peter Blodow wrote:

> Tom, the formula for drilling for metric threads is simple: nominal
> thread diameter minus the pitch, e.g. 12 - 1.5 = 10.5 mm for M12, or 6
> - 1 = 5 mm for M6 etc.

Does that not give a 100% thread? I was under the impression we use a .85
multiplier.  I made a couple 3mm holes yesterday when carving up a
temporary camera mount, applied that rule and used a .089 # drill as the
starter hole.  Had about the taps length to do as the screws I had were
12mm long and the material was 1/2" thick. Not wanting to load up the
tap and break it since it was a crap Irwin/Hanson, I pecked it by hand
from the mdi command line, 3mm at a time.  Worked great.  But I need to
junk that set of drills, they are gold painted wheel weights & only good
for 3 or 4 holes in alu before the edge is gone. I had bought one of
those 115 piece things for about a $30 bill several years ago, and half
of them have burned up or broken, and most are too small to be worked
over by the original drill doctor.  Its good for big bits, but has bad
centering problems when you get below about 3/16"

Looking at the fleabay offerings, what does this group think about Drill
Hog?  Like these:

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drill-Hog-60-Pc-NUMBER-Drill-Bit-Set-Wire-Gauge-HI-MOLY-M7-USA-Lifetime-Warranty-/181752876465?hash=item2a5150cdb1:g:x4oAAOSwMmBVrQ3a>

[...]

Thanks everybody!

We have about 14" of snow on flat areas, and its still building, perhaps
an inch/hour. A winter wonderland out, if I didn't have to clear some of
it when it finally does stop.  I stuck an arm & camera out the back
door, and my rider and 20 kw standby are just tall lumps in the snow,
completely covered.

For those of you sort of on the "right coast" with me, orders from
Grandpa Gene: don't go have a heart attack shoveling it.  Ya'll hear?