On Saturday 23 January 2016 12:08:47 andy pugh wrote:

> On 23 January 2016 at 16:53, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Does that not give a 100% thread? I was under the impression we use
> > a .85 multiplier.
>
> The idealised depth of thread for a perfectly sharp 60 degree thread
> with no rounding or flats is:
> (pitch/2) * tan(60) = 0.866p
> The core size of the thread is this D - 2 * 0.866p = D - 1.72p
> However: There is an H/4 flat on the internal thread, so the real
> thread core is D - 1.22p
>
> If you drill a hole of D-1p then you are at about 78% engagement.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread

Now we are getting more precise than we can drill with the typical drill
bit, which usually drills oversize because the tip flats are
un-avoidably off center. Even to a small extent for pricy carbide bits
in the smaller sizes.  Yesterdays finished tapping looked great, but I
think I could have used the next larger #drill. Yeah, my back of a
napkin said a .089 drill, kcalc says 0.0984251968503937008 for a 3mm.5
screw.

No wonder I felt like I should peck it, the hole WAS too small.