On 23 January 2016 at 16:53, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> Does that not give a 100% thread? I was under the impression we use a .85
> multiplier.

The idealised depth of thread for a perfectly sharp 60 degree thread
with no rounding or flats is:
(pitch/2) * tan(60) = 0.866p
The core size of the thread is this D - 2 * 0.866p = D - 1.72p
However: There is an H/4 flat on the internal thread, so the real
thread core is D - 1.22p

If you drill a hole of D-1p then you are at about 78% engagement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.