On 09/27/2016 10:36 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 September 2016 09:29:47 Ken Strauss wrote:
>
>> The discussion has been regarding the optically coupled probe. Has
>> anyone had success with the inductively coupled ones? Is it feasible
>> to make your own IMM module?
> I'd have to say you could, but these machines are generators of a large
> amount of magnetic noise. So I'd say not magnetically coupled, but radio
> coupled just to get above the frequency of the machines own noises.
Yes, it seems Blum and Renishaw have moved to RF
communication, and seem to be in the 800 MHz to GHz bands!
I guess the problem is no matter where you put the IR
transceiver, somebody would end up putting an obstruction in
the way, and then you break the probe tip. I did rig the
loss of signal watchdog to stop the machine, and it seems
like a really good idea.

Jon