On 08/08/2017 08:42 PM, Dan Bloomquist wrote:
I have not set homing up on my mill yet, I've been mulling it over. A switch is not satisfying unless there is a way to keep from hunting for it, can't imagine...

If you have encoders with index, that can set the home position to an exact encoder count, there's no sense in resolving finer than that. This allows you to align the work coordinates one day, shut down and then come back the next day and home the machine, and have as accurate an alignment to the part or fixture as the previous day.
So it occurred to me to us a laser range finder. Then lcnc would know where the table is without having to move on boot. It does not have to be accurate like to mm as I probably never have to mill to the limit switches, and even then....

So I started to look around out there, this is amazing for the price: <http://www.ebay.com/itm/VL53L0X-Time-of-Flight-Distance-Sensor-Breakout-GY-VL53L0XV2-Module-for-Arduino-/201718280643>

10% of range guaranteed? Hmmm, I am NOT impressed by the specs. So, from a foot away, they guarantee you can resolve an inch! The mirror would eventually get dirty and result in reduced accuracy, too.

Jon