The sensors are about as accurate as cloth tape measure.   So if you don't
mind a home switch that gets you to within about 1/8 inch of where you need
to be use it.

They work really well for some kinds of automation and measuring the level
of liquid in a tank.

Light moves at about one foot per nanosecond  So if you want to measure
distance by time of flight and you want an uncertainty of distance measured
to be about 0.1 inch you need to measure time to about 10 pico seconds.
THAT is about the best you can do outside of a large institutional lab.

The sensors are very useful.  I want one or more of them to place on a
robot "hand" so it can measure distance to an object it is trying to grasp.
  The sensor is ideal for this but NOT for machine shop accuracy.

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Dan Bloomquist <z...@lakeweb.net> wrote:

> I have not set homing up on my mill yet, I've been mulling it over. A
> switch is not satisfying unless there is a way to keep from hunting for it,
> can't imagine...
>
> So it occurred to me to us a laser range finder. Then lcnc would know
> where the table is without having to move on boot. It does not have to be
> accurate like to mm as I probably never have to mill to the limit switches,
> and even then....
>
> So I started to look around out there, this is amazing for the price:
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/VL53L0X-Time-of-Flight-Distance-
> Sensor-Breakout-GY-VL53L0XV2-Module-for-Arduino-/201718280643>
>
> I would not have to drill or bond the hardware, it is so light that a
> microwave magnet to hold it would be overkill. Has any one done this yet?
> Or am I missing something fundamental that makes it a bad idea?
>
> Thanks, Dan.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California