On 9 August 2017 at 02:42, Dan Bloomquist <z...@lakeweb.net> wrote:

> am I missing something fundamental that makes it a bad idea?

If you never need to re-start a job after the machine has shut down
then I think that it could be made to work.

The development branch of LinuxCNC has support for absolute encoders for homing.
What interface hardware are you using? There is a bit-banged SPI HAL
component for temperature that could be easily made to work with these
sensors.
https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master/src/hal/components/max31855.comp

--
atp