Hi,

Positioning the laser with magnets seems like an invitation to disaster.
The laser WILL get bumped or jiggled out of position. Hopefully, the out of
position would result in the machine not moving instead of moving to the
wrong position.

Using the laser to establish rough position (therefore eliminating  the
need for a limit switch) to allow homing from the startup position seems
"reasonable" if you can determine the laser position is repeatable enough
to catch the encoder index mark on the correct rotation.

To me, if you plan to home the machine, this sounds like a solution in
search of a problem although I don't know the complexity of installing
limit switches.

thanks
Stuart