Before i did look at work Michigan Technological university. i think that
your link is relate to the work that done there.
There was a PHD student that try to work on 3D metal printer.
he did finish PHD dissertation but i could not see any part that he build
with use his dissertation.
i think he was from Thailand and he left the country.