On Thursday 28 May 2020 18:36:10 andrew beck wrote:

> hey gene
>
> sorry for the slow reply
>
> just getting to this grounding thing now.
>
> currently I have single large copper block with a lot of holes in it
> for terminals, this is connected to the earth(ground) wire that goes
> back to the whole shed main ground wire rod in the dirt
>
> all my servo drives and vfd main grounds go back to this point as do
> all motor grounds etc.  this is how heidenhain set up the machine
> originally and they have a whole grounding schematic showing how it
> all works.  I have basically copied that.
>
> I have 2 meanwell 24v powersupplies that have the ground wire on the
> input side also connected to ground.  the output side (phase and
> neutral) are floating relative to ground and not connected to ground
> at all I think.  as the meanwell switching powersupply output should
> be isolated from the input.  I think this is correct
>
> the computer cord ground wire is currently connected to this same
> large copper block.

The sheer bulk of that copper bother me a bit because it can function as
an antenna.  A single bolt, tightened well into the chassis with all the
connections stacked up on this bolt will be quieter.

> my computer via the 5i25 currently supplies 5v logic power to the 7i76
Thats fine, but if using a std bob on the other 5i25 port, do NOT enable
the jumper for that port as the bobs std grounding will short circuit
that, you must supply a separated 5 volts to that bob, or plug in a usb
cable to steal it from the pc's usb circuitry,

> and one of the 24v meanwell powersupplys supplies the 24v field io for
> the 7i76
I have all supplies - outputs tied to ground.  It might work 99% of the
time without it, till the first nearby lightning strike...  With all
that grounded, it will probably keep right on working after the strike.

> my encoder problems started when I connected up the servo drive
> simulated encoder output to the 7i76 encoder counter.  I haven't
> connected the 5v and 24 v grounds together.  they did work for awhile
> but don't now

Tie the -'s to the ground bolt. Then do a full powerdown on the whole
thing, with about a 10 count in the dark, then boot everything back up
and test it.  And report what you get now...

> I have a 7i89 and 7i84 coming soon and will need a external 5v
> powersupply anyway i think so will change when they arrive here from
> america.
>
> anyway I read your reply and got a bit confused could you read my
> email here and let me know what I need to change and why I should do
> it this way just so I understand.

Basicly, your lack of a common ground has possibly allowed voltages well
above the breakdown voltages of the chips on these cards, between the -
connections and a real ground. They all have what can look like an SCR
as an isolation tub under each transistor its built from, and these
SCR's can upset the whole thing if they get turned on.  Thats why the
count to 10 or more powerdown is done, giving these SCR's time enough at
a low enough voltage to turn them off, at which point the circuit looks
more normal and may even work. If not, then something has been damaged
on the card and it should be replaced or tested and repaired as needed
by Peter. His turnaround time from CA to WV here in the states has been
very good. Its several thousand miles.  But if I recall correctly, you
are not exactly local.

 - Louis D. Brandeis