On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 11:39:08 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> said:

> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 10:27:49 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 10:53:57 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
> > said:

> > > Ubuntu 12.04 LTS hasn't reached EOL yet.  VLC works fine with EFL
> > > on that.  If I was a mere user, sure I would stick to stable EFL,
> > > I'm a developer.  Though previous stable EFLs also had to be told
> > > not to use gst1.
> >
> > 12.04 is 4+ years old. so no. doesn't count. you CAN switch to vlc or
> > CAN switch to gst 0.10 backend with --enables/disables etc. but
> > frankly. you don't count. not for the purposes of selecting DEFAULTS
> > you don't. if the idea was "defaults are only on if everyone on the
> > planet has that" then you would.  the point is selecting for the vast
> > majority of people.
>
> Your commit message implied both gst1 and VLC had advantages and
> disadvantages, I was throwing out one more that might have switched the
> balance in favour of VLC.

gst1 is ALREADY a default. because it's extremely common and full featured.
you are already having to --disable that default. so for you it changes
nothing. having BOTH on by default is about as silly as we can be. gst1 is the
best sensible default because it is actually full featured and stable.

> And I'm well aware that I don't count, I never count, everyone always
> ignores me.  Hence me alias in places that require two names - onefang
> Rejected.  Even being the biggest user of Evas_3D outside of Samsung
> doesn't get me listened to by the Evas_3D developers.  :-P

you CHOOSE to do the opposite of everyone else and just never update your OS
and if we were to make that the default way of thinking we'd never be
supporting new versions of anything and always fighting with "already fixed
issues". we wouldnt even be doing wayland because that requires folloing new
wl's, libinputs etc. closely.

one thing with your evas 3d usage... it's not real/useful to anyone else. if
you made open source tools/apps that were easily usable and downloadable
(without needing special accounts you have to pay for e.g second life) then you
would be interesting/relevant.

let me give you a sample:

if you  made a really nice world clock app for seeing world timezones,
selecting yours, setting date/time etc. that even did sexy stuff like used
topological maps of the world so when you zoom into an area you get some
mountains/hills and so on... and this was part of e's settings tools or clock
tool with calendar etc. ... well then that'd be really cool and useful to LOTs
of people and accessible to everyone. :) just saying. you're emails are "i'm
working on this thing.. here on my hard drive... it does x/y/z and will do
x/y/z". that's not REAL to anyone. it's not accessible. it's not used daily
thus important. :) you want evas 3d to be useful to your BIGGER projects you do
like this, do some smaller ones out the front that people see and use daily. :)