On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 22:45:41 +1000 onefang Rejected <onef...@gmail.com> said:

> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 15:17:38 +0930 Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> wrote:
>

> > On 08/04/2016 02:57 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> > > count the number of people here participating in any virtual world.
> > > they use terminals. email clients. wm's. the number of people
> > > involved in virtual worlds who would even look is small at best.
> > > perhaps you don't like it, but i'm trying to tell you that the
> > > reason no one is paying attention is you do not have something they
> > > want. maybe others do, but no one here working on efl or e or core
> > > users etc. is. or almost no one. if they were, then you wouldnt be
> > > a periphery thing. i am not saying your work is bad or its stupid
> > > or anything. i'm saying that expecting relevance is dependent on
> > > things being relevant to others. if efl breaks terminology then
> > > that break becomes relevant because LOTs of people use it here and
> > > even elsewhere. but especially here. if evas_3d was being used in e
> > > for eg 3d cube desktop switching effects... it'd be relevant to a
> > > whole lot of people immediately.
> > >
> > > i'm not even going to look at those projects because the premise of
> > > them as a virtual world is not interesting or relevant to me. it is
> > > to you and that's great. not to me. and if you go around wondering
> > > why they are not paying attention then this is the primary reason.
> > > you have to have things in common that make the things you want be
> > > relevant. :) i'm trying to help you here by pointing out that to
> > > help the project you care about, you may have to do other side
> > > projects that have relevance to others to bring that to the fore. :)
> > >

> > A gadget to display models of parts of virtual worlds inside E would
> > be pretty interesting maybe.
>
> What, like the file requester showing 3D thumbnails that Raster keeps
> arguing against?  Yeah, I want that to.  B-)

it has nothing to do with you. i equally would reject someone saying "lets put
a full pdf viewer in a thumbnail preview with form filling and page flipping
etc.". you've paid 90% of the cost of loading it completely anyway. yes argue
LOD all you like - the cost of creating a 3d scene, memory cost of loading
osmesa (almost 100k on its own you can never get back once loaded), is the vast
majority of the cost. load more or fewer triangles etc. wont be the issue. i
also would reject that the file selector loaded full edje objects in a preview
and had them run as this cost is non-trivial. i also reject if you said "hey
use photocam to live load the whole image at scaled down and allow the user to
pan/zoom in the preview". NO. no no no. generate a thumbnail or SERIES of
thumbnails you can loop/ping-pong and then the cost paid to load this is a cost
we already pay to load any icon or thumbnail and already paid - jpeg/eet etc.
for the ui. have a background headless process generate thumbs and store on
disk for re-use multiple times. no. i do not think having a full 3d model
viewer in a file selector is a good idea. i do not think having a full pdf
viewer or video player or music player or zooming/panning image viewer either
is a good idea. yes. i know e's file selector plays full videos in the
preview. it's a silly amount of overhead. it's only because e didnt thumbnail
videos problem that it does this. i have a decentish stand-alone thumbnailer
for rage that i've messed with. that's more like it but i'd use a cut down
version that just collects 5 or 10 shots from the video and makes a still
montage of it.

> > Extra extra bonus points if you can merge the concept of a virtual
> > world and a Window manager, I've always wanted to be able to walk
> > between my windows its about time someone reinveted 3D window
> > managers, if you started work along those lines id definitely be
> > interested.
>
> Keep in mind that what I am working on is an entire 3D virtual world
> system, which is a huge thing, including lots and lots and lots of
> little bits.  Any generic bit I can get others to write will be really
> helpful.  Taking time to write bits that wont be useful for the
> virtual world work is anathema to me, it's all gonna take too much
> time as it is.  I tend to write things generically, so that I can reuse
> them elsewhere.  So extra extra bonus points if people actually looked
> at my stuff, and picked out the things they might consider useful.
> Don't leave it up to me, I can't market for shit.  I don't know what
> bribes EFL developers want, but I do know what virtual world users want.

i can tell you that i am pretty much never going to go pick through a whole
virtual world engine for 3d effects. i can more than manage them myself with
less effort. in fact any 3d effects e might need are doable without evas_gl -
evas_map can do all of it.

simotek told you the same thing i did. if you took the time out to make what
you want to see happen relevant as part of the day to day lives of the users of
e, efl then what you care about would become important. you do say you don't
have the time to do it. in fact you say it's an anathema to you. that will mean
then your community is a virtual world/life sim community like secondlife and
the people working on efl and e are not part of that and you're not magically
going to make them part of it by wishing so.

> The integration of EFL widgets displayed on Evas_3D models, and
> Evas_3D models displayed on EFL widgets is very interesting to me, and
> I do intend to make use of that in my virtual world project.
> Ultimately the ability to show any arbitrary window in world, to other
> people, is highly desirable.  So that's part of my plan, and should
> help with your 3D window manager idea.  The lack of a useful internal
> window manager means I have already started writing my own for this
> project.  By "internal window manager" I mean managing the internal EFL
> windows inside the main window, even allowing internal windows to be
> "ripped off" to become their own main window (a commonly requested
> feature for Second Life and OpenSim users that no one has actually
> implemented yet).
>
> Just off the top of my head http://SledjHamr.org/ already has -
>
> A working network transparent GUI system based on Lua and EFL.  I even
> intend to get it working in web browsers (Lua via WASM / asm.js and
> maybe a HTML translation layer).  This has lots of features, and
> planned features, including the above mentioned internal window manager.
> It's based on my earlier matrix-RAD system that was written in Java.
>
> Better versions of some internal EFL APIs that should be made public
> APIs.
>
> A high speed Lua script runner that can handle thousands of scripts,
> based on my edje_lua2 work and some academic work by others.
>
> So if EFL developers want little bribes so we can all have a decent 3D
> system, then EFL developers should actually look at my stuff and pick
> out suitable bribes.  I ain't gonna take time out to build bribes that
> wont be useful to ME, if that's the way this is to work.  So go look at
> http://SledjHamr.org/ and figure out what bribes con work for us all if
> bribery is the thing we need to do.

you may call it bribes. it's called shared interest. if you want me to pick
over sledjhamr or whatever and build a fileselector preview for 3d models...
not going to happen. 1. i have precisely ZERO such models these days to look at
so i have no driver to do it (i used to have some for lightwave i created but
hey... long gone by now). 2. in my priority list of things its not even on it -
there is so much else cluttering it up, 3. it'd be STUPIDLY inefficient to
stuff a 3d model viewer even as a lodable module in a file selector - ad above
at the top. every piece of complex code like this is an opening for a bug that
will crash the app with the file selector in it. the more complex the data
being viewed, or the rarer its testing, the more chance for bugs that bring
your whole app down. no! it should be a back-end that generates an imageset on
disk in a file and the fileselector just loops/ping-pongs over a set of 10 or 20
images to give you multiple frames with an object  rendered at multiple angles.
same for videos. same for edje objects (more likely they will just be still
single image thumbnails) etc. etc. - but it'll be the person who WANTS TO SEE
3d models in their file selector as icons/previews that will have to do this
work. i'll happily do the work for things you might not care about but that i
do.

as for getting people interested in things like sledjhamr. look at the site.
it's a wall of text that's links to more text files and then more and more of
that as a diagram which makes me go "what on earth is this?" and then go back
to my overflowing todo list instead. sit and complain " i can't do
marketing" ... but unless you learn at leas SOME of it and not just learn but
PRACTICE it, people are just not going to spend the time to dig.

start with a page and atg least a screenshot that looks nice where people go
"ooh i'd like to have that... so how?" i look at the site and no download link i
can see, or get it or get started guide is obvious... oh wait ... buried as the
3rd last major bullet point "building..." not very obvious that's where i get
it... oh wait a text file where links in it i can't click on - have to copy and
paste.. but it discussed getting efl not your project.. oh a github page.
finally.. click on that oh wait.. i see a repo with JUST a README?... so there
is no code? what? oh wait i have to go to experimental? well gee finally
something.. but this is scary. its telling me that this stuff likely doesn't
work as its experimental and i have to clone and know how to switch branches so
wait i have now a tree? what makefile? a cmake thing? is there autofoo? how
does this thing build?... oh gee. and i don't even know what i will get after
all this effort and now having to figure out more... not even a screenshot.

enlightenemnt isn't some shining example of brilliance in marketing but i'm
trying to help you here. your project just screams "go away". i don't even have
the first carrot of "ooh look at this sexy stuff here... you could have this
if you just did the following steps!". you need to do this man! i have nothing
there that even close to wants me to dig further. but i did dig for the
purposes of this mail and every level of digging just makes things hard, opaque
and i wonder what was the reason i came this far? you claim to have some
virtual world system. i don't even see screenshots. it likely doesn't even
work. that's the impression people get. YES. you need to do better in marketing
if you want people to have an interest and care. if you don't want to bother,
then accept the fact you'll not have people take an interest.

spend the time to put up carrots. spend some time clearly documenting how to
get it, build it, run it, test it. do not expect someone to hunt page after
page and copy & paste links and hunt through branches and then have to keep
hunting. get them from zero to hero as fast as you can with some simple docs
that work. your build system is entirely unknown to man and beast. you have to
be very clear how it works. i have no clue how it does.

again - i'm trying to help you here. i'm not claiming to be some
gift-from-above in this, but a seasoned developer like me who knows various
build trees when they see one is wondering... "so how? i run lua built.lua? is
that it? i don't know! the README says nothing... oh wait there buried in the
MIDDLE of a wall of text .. in a paragraph is "run build.lua"  ... put it on a
line by itself:

./build.lua

so i can see that its obviously a build command! :)

you need to slicken things up. you need to organize your website. you need to
provide bait/carrots to get someone to bother following the rest of the
chain. :)