Mark,

If the energy starts out as electricity (hydro, solar, wind, nuclear), the
efficiency question is very important.

You will lose about half the energy converting electricity to hydrogen,
compressing the hydrogen for storage, then converting the hydrogen back to
electricity in the fuel cell.  Contrast this to the losses by staying with
electricity and storing it in a battery.  Much less.

If you start with fossil fuels, the efficiency is more balanced.  You lose
quite a bit of the energy in the generation plant, or the hydrogen production
and fuel cell, but it is about the same in both cases.

Mike