Without wanting to get into a detailed FCV discussion here, I'm puzzled.

1.  Last I heard a practical FCV was not possible until some Brand New
Stuff was invented, and no one knew if/how/when that would happen.
2.  Last I heard there was no way to create H2 that was anywhere near as
efficient as just filling a battery with the same energy.
3.  Last I heard FCV fueling infrastructure was wildly more expensive than
EV fueling infrastructure.

I'm trying to understand the business case for pursuing FCVs instead of the
seemingly more promising path of furthering advanced lithium chemistries.
 The only plausible reason to pursue FCVs that I can think of is that it's
too easy for an upstart manufacturer (like that pesky Tesla) to become an
EV manufacturer.  The fact that FCVs are inherently more complex and
require far more in-house R&D are barriers to entry for new players.  But
even that would require winning the hearts and minds of the driving public,
and I don't see how the user experience is significantly better.  Heck, I
don't see how you could make an FCV that would gain more market acceptance
than Toyota's own hybrids.

I'm trying hard to make sense of this.  Where's the return for Toyota?  Is
there something new in FCV development that I missed?

Chris