Toyota is as big a business as there is, along side the oil industry.  I
think they are just getting in bed with their buds.

It is all about the gas station infrastructure - many see it as too
ingrained to be avoidable - in that context H2 makes sense as a clean fuel
if you don't look too close.  There is a lot of money to be made if they
are right, and Toyota probably thinks they and the oil companies, et al.,
can make it right.

I think Musk simply questions basic assumptions like this and moves on.
 Then suddenly before the entrenched know what has hit them, there is a
completely new, potentially viable, very different option that cuts them
out.

Now is when we really start to see sparks fly.

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."