Bill,
I'd like to know where you heard that (incorrect) tidbit
about solar panels having more energy content than they generate.
Last I checked (about 15 years ago) it was information published
by the maker of my solar panels (Kyocera) showing that typical
energy payback time of complete solar panels (cells, glass and
alu frame together) was in the order of 1 year, but due to the
fact that I installed them in The Netherlands, my energy payback
time was closer to 2 years.
And this was of course well before the current solar improvements
of thin film or ribbon cells, which greatly reduce the amount of
silicon per cell, as well as the progress of efficiency which means
more energy returned per surface area.
So - I expect that solar panel energy payback is certainly under
1 year in favorable locations and it can be over 1 year in less
favorable locations. But no way that energy would not pay back
or the price of the panels would not offset the price of electricity
generated and it does - a couple times over even - including manhours
and other non-energy related cost additions.

But it is good to look at the source - where did you find this info?

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626