When I built my EV in 2005, the general consensus was that for FLA batteries,
the preferred terminal was SAE post style. So that's what I did. Side note:
15 - 8v GC batteries; 4/0 cables.

By the time I needed to  replace the battery pack (and since) the market had
changed and SAE terminals were a special order item. Being a tightwad, I
purchased screw on adapters so my cables would still work with the less
expensive 5/16" stud terminals. Not too bad except they keep coming loose
and getting hot. Plus it's a lot of work to tighten them. You first have to
remove the SAE clamps, torque the adapters and hope they'll stay put for a
while.

So I'm getting tired of the hassle and considering building a set of cables
with lugs on them so I can easily check the torque.

My question is: will the lugs provide enough surface contact to carry the
amperage? I only run a maximum of 500 amps, most of the time in the 200 amp
range. Any special precautions I need to take? I assume I'll purchase
factory made copper lugs to fit the studs and the cable - tinned of course.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Ken