KenA via EV wrote:
When I built my EV in 2005, the general consensus was that for FLA batteries,
the preferred terminal was SAE post style.

And it still is. :-) For high currents (500 amps etc.) it is much better than the 5/16" studs or flag terminals.

15 - 8v GC batteries; 4/0 cables.

4/0 cable is heavier than you need, but does no harm (except to your wallet).

purchased screw on adapters so my cables would still work with the less
expensive 5/16" stud terminals.

Yeah, these adapters are not reliable for high currents. I'm surprised you haven't melted a few.

My question is: will the lugs provide enough surface contact to carry the
amperage?

The stainless steel 5/16" stud is only good for about 75 amps continuous. Your EV is likely to pull more than this, so these studs will cause trouble.

They are also mechanically weak. Lead is soft. The studs tend to creep out of the lead if tightened enough to actually get a good contact.

My suggestion would be to check with a local battery dealer that handles industrial batteries. They can cast new automotive posts on your golf cart batteries.

Better yet, they can simply weld your inter-battery jumpers to each battery. That's what industrial batteries do, so they never have problems with loose connections. But of course, it's permanent; you have to cut them to change a battery.

--
I view this year’s failure as next year’s opportunity. Failures are
not something to be avoided. You want them to happen as quickly as