From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Michael Ross
via EV
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:51 AM
To: Martin WINLOW; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EV Digest, Vol 19, Issue 39 - OTT

I live in North Carolina - they are getting ready to frack in very
uncertain geology here. That is what will happen next.

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 3:13 AM, Martin WINLOW via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org>wrote:

> A Financial Times article a couple of weeks back was saying that $1T
of
> recent investment in shale oil and gas extraction will never se a
profit -
> due to too low oil and gas prices.  Guess what's going to happen next?
MW

> On 27 May 2014, at 07:02, Jan Steinman via EV wrote:
>
> >> From: Michael Ross [mailto:michael.e.r...@gmail.com]
> >>
> >> Can we really disregard the energy cost of all those other items
making
> >> up the totla cost?
> >
> > No! It's a totally essential concept!
> >
> > I think the Hummer versus Prius example was probably contrived and
> skewed, but the concept of energy cost accounting is something we
don't do
> enough of these days.
> >
> > For example, some energy cost analysis indicates that some shale oil
> costs as much as $120/barrel to produce, although the market rate is
only
> $100/barrel. Some studies even suggest that some shale oil well use
more
> energy than they will ever produce.
> >
> > For more info, look into "emergy," a concept rigorously developed by
> Howard (HT) Odum.
> >
> > :::: The more the work is left to nature, the greater the net yield
but
> the longer the time required... Thus sometimes the most apparently
> productive and high-yielding sources of energy involve a lot of
activity
> for little return, while long-term investments, especially in
naturally
> grown forests, provide the greatest value for future generations. --
David
> Holmgren
> > :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."