The northern part of The Netherlands is also an extremely stable
geology,

but also very rich in natural gas, especially the province of Groningen.

These days it is not uncommon to see all older houses there damaged

from shifting ground, some houses were condemned and many have

broken walls from regular small earthquakes and moving soil, so the

walls tear from bottom to top (these are brick walls).

After pressure from the public, the disclosure was made that there is no

guarantee that the strength of earthquakes (which were unheard of in
this area)

can stay below 2.5 as they promised before - now they do not know

how strong the eartquakes will get...

Can we say a man-made disaster?

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist