Michael;

See Inserts.

Thanks;
Dennis

From: Michael Ross [mailto:michael.e.r...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 3:27 PM
To: Pestka, Dennis J; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] FW: Vibration

Dennis,

If it was any ICE car, where there is no DIY drive train stuff to distract one,
I would ask them to check the tire balance once again.   It is entirely
possible a balance weight popped off.  Or they forgot to balance one of them.
I speak from experience here.  At one time I used to refuse balancing as snake
oil, but I learned better along the way. I recently had new tires installed and
balanced. I had this problem beforehand, so I don’t think it’s the tires.

65 Datsun means rear wheel drive, correct?  Yes  A drive shaft is usually
making clunky sounds going into reverse and back to forward if it is sick.  As
some suggested, I just had new u-joints installed, and the driveshaft balanced.
CVs make clicking noises when turning if they are suspect. I do get a clunking
noise sometimes when first starting. It could be an axle problem as others have
stated.

Is there any indication at all that the the motor and drive train are the
cause? Not sure I presume they were fine at one time? Not sure.  I only
recently with my new Battery pack have taken it up to higher speeds. That’s
when I really noticed the problem.   If it was once smooth that sort of
precludes any issues with motor/tranny/drive shaft/differential misalignments.
When I first got it on the road 4 years ago, I did notice some vibration when
slowing from around 45 mph, but I figured it was due to a ~ 50 year old truck.
Postponing them as a primary trouble shooting point.

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Pestka, Dennis J via EV