Thanks for the detailed explanation, Cor.

I think I'm still having a hard time warping my head 'round torque and power
requirements and all the rest. I'm thinking I need some good way to calculate
(or at least guesstimate) *actual* power requirements so I can compare with
what I'm seeing on the performance graphs.

For example, the AC-51 has torque out the wazoo from a standstill, so I'm
assuming that's nothing to worry about.

Continuous (not peak) power, on the other hand, is 5 hp @ 1000 RPM. If I have
the math right, with the 6:1 rear end recommended by HPEVS and 25.5" tires,
that's at 13 MPH. But how much power does it actually take to maintain 13 MPH
in a ~3500 pound 60s-era car? If more than 10 hp (with both motors), I've got a
problem. If less, I should be okay, right?

That same gearing would put the motor at 8000 RPM at about 100 MPH, which I'm
sure I can live with as a do-not-exceed speed (whether the car gets there
through the gas engine or the electric motor or both).

So...how *do* I figure out how much power is needed for a given speed? If I
knew that, I'd have a much better idea of how to figure out the rest.

I've plugged some best-guess figures into these two calculators, and they
suggest that I'm probably okay...I think...but am I really guessing reasonably?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero-rolling-resistance.php

http://enginuitysystems.com/EVCalculator.htm

> I am guessing that the question is if you can place the electric motor
> *before* the transmission?

Not if I want to go the hybrid route with the existing engine. And if I was
going to do a pure BEV conversion, I don't think this would be the car for that
-- probably instead a Ghia or the like.

> Or find the highest reduction diff for your Mustang that you can find,
> you need to keep the Revs up to keep the electric motor alive!

I'm pretty sure that's HPEVS's idea with the 6:1 rear end...which wouldn't be
cheap...and neither would be the custom transmission needed on the other side
of the electric motor to keep the gas engine happy. All in all, I'd much rather
keep the rear end and a generic transmission....

> Another alternative would be to place the electric motor next to the
> drive shaft with a sprocket on the motor axle pointing forward (next to
> the output from the transmission) and a 4x larger sprocket on the
> transmission output.

My shade-tree mechanic thought of that some time back, possibly using a Gilmer
belt. The electric motors are much too powerful for that type of a side-load
application, alas.

Thanks again for all the help!

b&