From: Cor van de Water
>Ehhh - the *internal* wiring of an EVSE, how can that be a standards
>thing?
>Who cares if the charging cable has copper, steel or aluminum wiring, as
>long as it meets the current spec (and possibly the max resistance if
>that is important (voltage drop)?

Cor, perhaps you meant the *external* wire?

In any case, I agree. The standards I'm familiar with (mainly UL and CSA) never
specify the material that must be used; they only specify the properties that
the material must have. I.e. wire must have a temperature rise of less than X
deg.C at rated current (regardless of what material it's made of).

So, I can't see any problems in principle with using a stranded steel cable for
an EVSE, as long as the steel has enough cross sectional area to carry the
current with an acceptable temperature rise and voltage drop.

Be sure to prominently LABEL it "steel wire" in case the thieves can read.

--
Excellence does not require perfection. -- Henry James