On Sep 1, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Note that using steel cable and even getting somewhat close to the same
> resistance would make the cable several times heavier and stiffer, so
> much more difficult to handle.

First, this isn't at all a problem limited to EV charging. Anybody know what's
done in other situations to stop copper theft?

Next, what about alloys that contaminate the copper or reduce its content in
ways that make it undesirable? Or, steel-clad copper that's presumably
resistant to cutting?

And, of course, much of this is because of the value in scrap copper combined
with the anonymity of "recycling" operations. Some sort of regulation might be
called for, but I don't know how to pull that off.

A part of me likes the idea of energizing the wires, but, fortunately, I'm old
enough to keep my ten-year-old inner child out of the decision-making process?

b&