>Having seen the effects of weather on connections to aluminum wire I wonder
>how one makes a reliable connection to this sort of wire for high current
> applications?  Aluminum also hates to be bent and rebent, making work
>hardening and fracture a realistic failure mode.  What strategies prevent
>this?
The aluminum is not loaded with copper, it is coated with copper in a
process similar to 'Dip' Galvanizing with zinc on steel.  The cable is
a bundle of small flexible conductors thus it is flexible. Not a
single rod of aluminum which would cause work hardening and fracture,
a realistic failure mode. The copper makes weather corrosion of the
aluminum unlikely. And when using for home wiring the copper coating
improves the connection reliability.

On 9/1/14, Michael Ross via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
> "
> And, of course, much of this is because of the value in scrap copper
> combined with the anonymity of "recycling" operations. Some sort of
> regulation might be called for, but I don't know how to pull that off."
>
> I recently made trip yo a recycling yard where I was photographed, the
> transaction video recorded, and my drivers license photographed.  They can
> match me to every item I brought in that day.  This helps prevent large
> scale ripoffs of construction material and disassembling old homes.
>
> However, a cable is pretty anonymous and any sort of enforcement is going
> to require a solid (no reasonable doubt) connection to the actual theft.
>  Which is how it should be.  I don't see further regulation making anything
> but a larger mess than I would like to see.   I also don't see this current
> level of regulation helping at all.
>
> I think Cu filled Al wire make a lot of sense.
>
> Having seen the effects of weather on connections to aluminum wire I wonder
> how one makes a reliable connection to this sort of wire for high current
>  applications?  Aluminum also hates to be bent and rebent, making work
> hardening and fracture a realistic failure mode.  What strategies prevent
> this?
>

> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Ben Goren via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 1, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
>> wrote:
>> SNIP
>>

>> And, of course, much of this is because of the value in scrap copper
>> combined with the anonymity of "recycling" operations. Some sort of
>> regulation might be called for, but I don't know how to pull that off.
>> SNIP
>>
>> A Michael E. Ross
>
> (919) 550-2430 Land
> (919) 576-0824 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones> Google Phone
> (919) 631-1451 Cell
> (919) 513-0418 Desk
>
> michael.e.r...@gmail.com
> <michael.e.r...@gmail.com>

Dennis Lee Miles

(*evprofes...@evprofessor.com <evprofes...@evprofessor.com>)*

* Founder:    **EV Tech. Institute Inc.*

*Phone #* *(863) 289-0690 (12 noon to 12 midnight Eastern US Time)*

*Educating yourself, does not mean you were **stupid; it means, you are
intelligent enough,  **to know, that there is plenty left to learn!*

*          You Tube Video link:  http://youtu.be/T-FVjMRVLss
<http://youtu.be/T-FVjMRVLss> *