The solutions to this theft problem all involve making the copper wire
worthless for cash on the "Black-Market" of illegal salvage
processing, or a more difficult target for thieves.    One 'solution'
is make all new charging cable conductors out of copper coated
aluminum, this is relatively a tiny cost increase as the copper coated
aluminum is readily available.However the copper aluminum mix is
worthless as scrap. I would also replace the two small signal wires
with insulated tough steel 'aircraft' cable along with several
additional pieces from end to end, to make 'bolt cutters
'ineffective' Pinching the cable, but not cutting it easily thru.  The
other alternative is to carry a 20 ft. cable in the EV with connectors
on both ends which are identical and replace the cable on the EVSE
with an inlet connector as we have on EV now. This allows legacy EVSE
to be used by connecting the cable to the car, and updated EVSE, with
a connector at the EVSE box, can be used with the cable carried in the
EV. The EV does not have to be modified.

On 9/1/14, Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
> Lee,
> "Internal" as in anything between the external interfaces.
> So yeah - in this case the wire that connects the J1772 coupler to the
> housing.
> Note that using steel cable and even getting somewhat close to the same
> resistance would make the cable several times heavier and stiffer, so
> much more difficult to handle.
> Steel has almost 9 times the resistance of copper, so a cable diameter 3
> times that one of copper would be needed for the same resistance.
> However, since it is likely allowed to have (much) higher resistance as
> long as the temperature rise in the cable is similar, the thicker cable
> for the steel wire will also have more cooling surface, so it is allowed
> to have a higher resistance and produce more heat (slightly higher
> voltage drop).
> For example having only twice thicker cable instead of 3x would lead to
> approx twice the resistance and heat production, but since surface is
> also twice the area of the copper cable, the resulting temp rise is
> likely similar. Twice heavier and stiffer is probably still OK-ish to
> handle for the usual 6kW L2 cable, though it might already be
> cumbersome.
> There are ways t alleviate this though.
> Another approach is Alu wires, since Alu has only 60% higher resistance
> than copper.
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: cwa...@proxim.com Private: http://www.cvandewater.info

Dennis Lee Miles

(*evprofes...@evprofessor.com <evprofes...@evprofessor.com>)*

* Founder:    **EV Tech. Institute Inc.*

*Phone #* *(863) 289-0690 (12 noon to 12 midnight Eastern US Time)*

*Educating yourself, does not mean you were **stupid; it means, you are
intelligent enough,  **to know, that there is plenty left to learn!*

*          You Tube Video link:  http://youtu.be/T-FVjMRVLss
<http://youtu.be/T-FVjMRVLss> *