Lee,
"Internal" as in anything between the external interfaces.
So yeah - in this case the wire that connects the J1772 coupler to the
housing.
Note that using steel cable and even getting somewhat close to the same
resistance would make the cable several times heavier and stiffer, so
much more difficult to handle.
Steel has almost 9 times the resistance of copper, so a cable diameter 3
times that one of copper would be needed for the same resistance.
However, since it is likely allowed to have (much) higher resistance as
long as the temperature rise in the cable is similar, the thicker cable
for the steel wire will also have more cooling surface, so it is allowed
to have a higher resistance and produce more heat (slightly higher
voltage drop).
For example having only twice thicker cable instead of 3x would lead to
approx twice the resistance and heat production, but since surface is
also twice the area of the copper cable, the resulting temp rise is
likely similar. Twice heavier and stiffer is probably still OK-ish to
handle for the usual 6kW L2 cable, though it might already be
cumbersome.
There are ways t alleviate this though.
Another approach is Alu wires, since Alu has only 60% higher resistance
than copper.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist