Lots of great comments on this thread.

I think it boils down to thieves steal the wire because it is easy. Nobody's
watching, it's easy to cut the present cables, and it's easy to sell the copper
for fast money.

So the solutions come down to a) better surveillance, b) making it harder to
steal (harder to cut etc.), and c) making the wire less valuable (using
something other than copper).

I thought of a 4th possibility. How about making the EVSE cord out of "shunk
wire"? Include a plastic tube in the cable, filled with mercaptans (skunk
musk)! It could also include an indelible dye, as used in bank money bags.
Anyone who cuts one of these cables will be a "marked man", and never do that
again! >:-)

--
Excellence does not require perfection. -- Henry James