​"
And, of course, much of this is because of the value in scrap copper
combined with the anonymity of "recycling" operations. Some sort of
regulation might be called for, but I don't know how to pull that off."

I recently made trip yo a recycling yard where I was photographed, the
transaction video recorded, and my drivers license photographed.  They can
match me to every item I brought in that day.  This helps prevent large
scale ripoffs of construction material and disassembling old homes.

However, a cable is pretty anonymous and any sort of enforcement is going
to require a solid (no reasonable doubt) connection to the actual theft.
 Which is how it should be.  I don't see further regulation making anything
but a larger mess than I would like to see.   I also don't see this current
level of regulation helping at all.

I think Cu filled Al wire make a lot of sense.

Having seen the effects of weather on connections to aluminum wire I wonder
how one makes a reliable connection to this sort of wire for high current
 applications?  Aluminum also hates to be bent and rebent, making work
hardening and fracture a realistic failure mode.  What strategies prevent
this?

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Ben Goren via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
> wrote:
> ​SNIP​
>
> ​​
> And, of course, much of this is because of the value in scrap copper
> combined with the anonymity of "recycling" operations. Some sort of
> regulation might be called for, but I don't know how to pull that off.
> ​SNIP​
>
> A Michael E. Ross

(919) 550-2430 Land
(919) 631-1451 Cell