dont forget aggregating, say, 1,000 of these 10kW Powerwalls into a 10 megawatt
virtual power plant VPP, (or any multiplier) for microgrids of distributated
generation
On Fri, 5/1/15, Robert Bruninga via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [EVDL] Tesla plugs into new market with home battery system
(backup foolishness)
 To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 Date: Friday, May 1, 2015, 9:39 PM

 Huh?  Plenty wrong with
 your assumptions.

 > $6k
 of golf cart batteries is about 60 of them; that's
 around 80 KWH of
 storage! Who on earth needs
 that much for a home.

 My
 solar panels produce typically 60 to 70 kWH every sunny
 day.  If I do
 not use every bit of it every
 day, then I am wasting my solar investment
 right?  Hence, I  sell it to the grid every
 day and buy it back when I
 need it at no net
 cost..

 If I had to store it
 in batteries (at your proposed 10% daily depth of
 discharge) then I would need 600 kWh of
 batteries or $60K investment (and
 replace it
 every 10 years).  Again, batteries MAKE NO ECONOMICAL
 SENSE
 WHATSOEVER compared to grid-tie.
 BUT...

 BUT, if utilities
 began paying the homeowner the same TEN-TIMES PEAK rates
 they have to pay for power during summer peaks,
 then of course, batteries
 coiuld make some
 economical sense.  They don't have to handle the
 full
 working load of my solar array, but
 only enough to meet those
 instantaneoud peak