On May 4, 2015, at 1:07 PM, Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> I mean 8 Amps at around 400V is not an EV power level, it is actually rather
> underwhelming - I wonder why Tesla with a profile of high-power application
> is releasing such a low power spec.

A "nominal" 5.8A @ 400V is comparable to a 20A load on a 110V line, in line
with a typical single home circuit. You can put up to nine of them in a single
unit, with up to a 30kW combined peak load. That's pretty well in line with
typical household circuitry and usage.

They're selling them less as whole-home backup or off-grid batteries and more
as arbitrage devices. Fill the batteries at off-peak hours, drain them during
on-peak hours and only feed from the grid during on-peak when the batteries are
empty. I've heard payback figures bandied about in the three-year range, making
them the equivalent of a 25% annual return on investment -- simply phenomenal.
If true, if you've got the capital to invest in them, you'd be an idiot to not
buy them.

...if true....

b&