The best (but probably also most complex = expensive) hardware
would be to make this pack act as grid energy storage and stabilization,
though that would not be ideal with this pack - EVs are much better at the high
power levels required for stabilization (though I do not see anything preventing
the solution, other than that the spec is for a low power from the battery,
I mean 8 Amps at around 400V is not an EV power level, it is actually rather
underwhelming - I wonder why Tesla with a profile of high-power application
is releasing such a low power spec.

What I think though is that it will be promoted especially as a backup solution
for "when the grid goes down" and by recharging it only from your solar, you
will always have power even if the grid goes out for longer periods.
Of course you can also charge it from the grid (at night, when power cost
may be down to ~6 cents per kWh) to replace some of the power that you consume
at the highest tariff, but this will be questionable if this has a good
business case.
However, sometimes it is more about the feeling than the pocket book, so that
may
also be why they are making such a big deal out of a smallish pack of batteries
not too different from what you can buy online everywhere.
Indeed it looks like it is optimized for direct DC input from a solar array at a
typical string voltage under 600V, probably the built-in DC/DC converter can
take
this, do MPPT (although the PowerWall specs are short on details) for charging
from the sun in an optimal way - you'd only need to connect the inverter to get
your humongous UPS system, which is something that I did to my EV: add a 3kW
inverter
and if the grid goes down, I have power for a while...

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626          Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130          private: cvandewater.info
www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received this
message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any unauthorized
use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of this message is
prohibited.