Hi Cal,

We purchased a used 2013 LEAF SL, after turning in our leased 2012 SV. We put nearly 48k miles on the 2012 car, and had no problems. It only needed tires, wiper blades, and its scheduled service visits.

We recommend the SL or above models, because these have the heat pump heating/cooling system, so using the heater or defroster has very little effect on range (we're in Portland, OR, pretty much the same climate as Peri). Given that your commute is pushing the range of the LEAF, you'll regret having to live with the old-school heating system (we know, we did so for 42 months in our 2012 car).

We also recommend you make sure you get one with the L3 charging option, because you can take advantage of quick charging stations if you find you need to make a side-trip that you hadn't planned on.

Another desirable improvement in the 2013+ SL (or higher) models is a more powerful onboard charger. On the more common L2 public charging stations, this can charge twice as fast as the low-end 3.3KW charger, so if you do get stuck with a low battery and no L3 stations, you'll be stuck for a shorter amount of time.

Last comment: While my wife's daily commute is 60 miles round trip, she has on occasion done 85 miles on a single charge in our 2013 car (not possible in the 2012 car). These were on warm, dry days, and included some light-footed driving, such as keeping the freeway speeds at 55 instead of 65. We suspect that, depending on the hills in your area, you could make your round trip commute on a single charge on such ideal days if you do some minor hypermiling, but catching some hours of L1 charge while you're at work (or a 10-20 minute top-off at an L3 charger) should get you home year round.

Regards,

Marion

Hi, folks,

I just got a new job, which is going to have me making changes.
So far, my commute has been adequately met by my GEM e2.

Now I'm looking at 42 miles one way, mainly freeway with a bit of stop
and go at the end.
I'm thinking that, while this might be pushing it a bit, a 2013+ Nissan
Leaf SL might just make it, and I'm liking the pricing I see on used
ones with under 30k miles.

Am I being foolish? What else should I be careful to observe should I
try to buy one?

Thanks!

Best regards,
-- Cal Frye,
 www.calfrye.com <http://www.touchstonehumanists.org/>

"As business replaces civil society, advertising is taking over the
cultural functions that used to be filled by the left. . . . We used to
have movements for change; now we have products." -- Thomas Frank.