From: "Cal Frye via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 12:19:08 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Leaf recommendations?

Peri, Tom (and others, particularly Bruce),
I appreciate all the concern and good suggestions. You folks have
greatly helped me feel I've thought this through very thoroughly.

I purchased the Leaf today. Peri, it's a 2015 model S, with the battery
apparently in top condition. It does come with the quick charger, so I'm
set there.

It does have the resistance heater, but so far I can see that the heated
seats are almost all I need there. I think I will get a pair of
fleece-lined boots for driving that will help keep my toes warm without
having to resort to the cabin heater unless really necessary. I do see
what effect that has on the miles remaining gauge.

Overall, in my admittedly limited testing so far, I'm averaging 4 mi/kW,
so I'm pleased. I've ordered an OBDII dongle for use with LeafSpy to
keep better tabs on it.

Tom, I do indeed have redundant charging options at work, four choices,
actually, within easy walking distance from the office. There is a
backup 3kW charger a mile from my house, but I will next be putting a
240v outlet in the garage for a home charger, too.

Along the route, there are a couple of quick charger locations at two
Walmarts, along with charging at two Nissan dealerships, all near the
highways I would routinely use on my commute.

I really think I've got charging covered with reasonable alternatives
available should my preferred be ICEd or otherwise unavailable. I have
not personally tested in our coldest weather, but I think there's
sufficient reserve for this to work, and there's always an ICE for
backup, but I'm adventurous enough to want to avoid that unless
absolutely necessary.

The biggest problem I find with the Leaf so far is it's so quiet I often
am exceeding the speed limit without recognizing just how fast I'm
going. I will learn to cope.

Best regards, -- Cal Frye,
www.calfrye.com /Be an Internet Sceptic/ Stop. Think. Connect.
www.stopthinkconnect.org - Be at least as safe on the Internet as you
are crossing the street!

"Good generally conquers evil. Unless, of course, good is stupid."